he original Joppa was a major seaport and commercial hub in the 18th century. The town proper was located on what is now called Rumsey Island, where the Big Gunpowder Falls and Little Gunpowder Falls meet to form the Gunpowder River. The only original building remaining is the Rumsey Mansion, once home of colonial patriot Benjamin Rumsey. There are original building foundations and gravesites on the adjacent Church of the Resurrection property. Ruins of the original wharf and docks, as well as the town jail, were still visible until Hurricane Agnes swept through in 1972. The Old Joppa Site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. 1 Before Joppatowne became known for its comfortable homes, convenience to Interstate 95 and popular waterfront park, it served as a major shipping port during the first half of the 18th century. Originally known as Gunpowder Town and later as Joppa, the area also operated as the Baltimore County seat from 1712 to 1768, later becoming part of Harford County. In the early 1960s, the plan for Joppatowne, laid out by developer Leon Panitz as one of the country's first planned communities, combined everything residents would need such as retail, open space, recreation, schools and a mix of housing, according to the Harford County Community Plan for the area. Today, Joppatowne offers a mix of friendly neighbors, tree-lined streets and waterfront appeal. Rumsey Island, a manmade peninsula, offers large waterfront homes as well as smaller single-family houses and townhouses, many sitting on canals with piers and concrete bulkheads. Summer weekends are a lively mix of cookouts, boating and hanging out with neighbors.