In 1811, the Tennessee State Legislature appointed a committee to select a new site for the Rutherford County seat. The site eventually chosen was 60 acres of land belonging to Captain William Lytle. The General Assembly named the new town Cannonsburgh, honoring Newton Cannon, a young politician in Williamson County, but upon Captain Lytle's request, changed the name to Murfreesboro one month later. The naming was in memory of Lytle's friend, Colonel Hardy Murfree. In 1817, Murfreesboro was recognized as an official city by the State Legislature and, in 1818, was named the capital of Tennessee because of its central location. However, Nashville regained title as the state capital in 1826. If you are looking for a place to go boating of fish,Stones River is the place. Stones River Greenway is one of many forming Nashville's system of greenways throughout the city. Nashville's greenways link neighborhoods, schools, shopping areas, the downtown area, offices, recreation areas, open spaces and other points of interest. The Stones River Greenway is a multi-use trail that runs from the Cumberland River to the J. Percy Priest Reservoir at Nashville Shores. Much of the trail runs parallel to Stones River and provides access to a number of communities and parks along the way, including the skate park at Two Rivers Park. The Stones River Greenway also connects to the Shelby Bottoms Greenway at the Cumberland River by the dam.