North Rose is a hamlet located in the Town of Rose, Wayne County, New York. Rose was named for Robert Selden Rose (1774-1835), a Virginian, who purchased 4000 acres of land in what is now the township of Rose about 1802. Rose himself lived in Geneva, but the town was named for him when it was organized in 1826, with the expectation that he would provide a gift of land or other valuable property. His gift? Naught but "a little merino ram, about the size of a woodchuck".