South Jordan was settled in 1859 by Alexander and Catherine Lince Beckstead. Like many of the first settlers in the Salt Lake Valley, their first home was a cave dug out of the river bank. Today, South Jordan's most distinctive and recognizable landmark, visible from miles around, is the LDS Jordan River Temple overlooking the open space and protected green belts of the Jordan River Parkway. Though residential development in the Salt Lake valley has mushroomed, South Jordan is committed to preserving its natural beauty. Along the banks of the Jordan River, South Jordan City is cooperating with other government, non-profit and private groups to set aside a significant area for the South Jordan Riverway Wildlife Enhancement project. There are two fishing ponds located at 920 W 11200 S which are part of approximately 22 acres of natural habitat on the west side of the Jordan River. These ponds provide angling opportunities for rainbow trout and catfish stocked by the Division of Wildlife Resources.