Aquia Creek is a 27.6-mile-long (44.4 km) tributary of the tidal segment of the Potomac River and is located West of Stafford, Virginia. The creek's headwaters lie in southeastern Fauquier County, and it empties into the Potomac at Brent Point in Stafford County, 45 miles (72 km) south of Washington, D.C. History - The Public Quarry at Government Island in the creek served as the source for Aquia Creek sandstone. This sandstone was used in numerous public buildings; the National Capitol Columns were quarried in the early 1800s, and transported to Washington on a barge. In an early American Civil War skirmish, the Battle of Aquia Creek, three US gunships fired on a battery garrison during the Union campaign to blockade Chesapeake Bay (May-June 1861). There were an estimated 10 casualties. The USGS marks the narrow creek as the Potomac River on maps as of September 1, 2013.